Disposing of waste in a safe, ethical way is everyone’s responsibility, but it should be a top priority for skip providers and waste management companies. Recycling prevents overflowing landfills, limits waste contamination in a local area, and reduces the unnecessary use of virgin materials — among other benefits. Needless to say, the less waste that goes to landfill, the better. That’s where an effective waste management solution comes in.

When we think about hiring a skip, we tend to assume that the waste will end up in landfills. However, this isn’t necessarily the case. Professional skip hire services should (and luckily, often do) recycle as much collected waste as possible. 

So, how does skip waste recycling in the Norfolk area work? What should you know about the process?

Does skip waste get recycled?

Long story short — yes! Whenever possible, a reputable company will recycle skip waste. They’ll follow strict processes and use a state-of-the-art waste transfer station to deal with the recycling process. 

The stages of recycling

Recycling isn’t as simple as moving it from the ‘landfill’ pile to the ‘recycling’ pile — there are a few different steps involved.


Skips rarely contain just one type of material. You usually use them to dispose of a range of items, including metals, plastics, fabrics, and other components. Before anything from a skip can be recycled, these different materials need to be separated and sorted. If you’re hiring a skip and waste management service, they will usually do this in-house.


Each material will fall into a waste category. And waste management companies will treat each waste category in a different way. For example, building rubble is crushed, wood is often processed with a wood chipper, soil is screened, garden waste and other biodegradable material is sorted for compost, and scrap metal is stripped into subcategories. This processing and treatment prepares them for the final stage of the recycling process — turning the materials into new products or materials, either in-house or by external companies.

At AKS Skip Hire, we’re proud to say that we recycle 100% of all materials that pass through our waste transfer station in Norwich. A fantastic 85% is recycled on site, with the remaining 15% used by local power stations as a power source. 

Recycling and repurposing

Lastly, any processed waste that can be recycled, is recycled. It is sent off to the right place to reuse that material. If there is some waste that can’t be recycled, or can’t be processed by a particular waste management company, it may go to landfill or be disposed of in another safe, regulated way if necessary. Alternatively, we may send it to another facility for recycling.

Recycling – choosing the right waste management service

If you’re concerned about your waste’s impact on the environment, then make sure to choose a company that takes responsibility for recycling. Choosing a local skip company reduces the carbon footprint of your waste removal.

Skip hire, Norfolk

At AKS Skips, we can recycle your cardboard, plastics, metals, soils, wood, and much more. We’ve been recycling since 2002 and are proud to contribute towards Norfolk’s green future. 

In line with Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE), we also offer a professional electrical waste recycling service which covers large and small household appliances, PCs, mobile phones, radios, televisions, and lightbulbs. 

If you’d like to book skip hire in the Norfolk area, get in touch with our friendly team today. We offer a range of different skip sizes and services to suit your requirements. Take a look at our Load and Go option — we supply a van and driver who will help you load all your waste into the vehicle, without the need for a long-term skip permit.