As responsible citizens, it is our duty to take care of the environment and ensure that we manage our waste properly. Improper waste disposal can have severe consequences on the environment, leading to pollution and the harming of ecosystems.

In the UK, domestic waste is a significant concern. And if you’re planning a big clean-out or home renovation, it’s important to know how to dispose of any rubble, electronic waste, and other items responsibly. The team at AKS Skip Hire in Norwich is committed to making waste management as straightforward and effective as possible. So read on for our guidance on proper waste disposal and to learn why it’s so vital.


Where does waste go when you hire a skip?

When you hire a skip with us, we take your rubbish to our waste transfer station in Norwich. Here, we aim to divert as much as possible from landfill. After collecting your skip, we sort, process, and recycle or repurpose your waste as necessary. In fact, we recycle 100% of the waste we collect — we recycle 85% on-site and local power stations use the remaining 15%.

This isn’t the case if you throw your waste out in a different way.


The importance of segregating your household waste

When life gets busy, it can be tempting to throw all our rubbish into one bin. But when domestic waste isn’t properly segregated, it can wreak havoc on the environment. Mixed waste containing recyclable materials like paper, plastic, glass, and metal ends up in landfills, where it decomposes and produces harmful greenhouse gases like methane. These gases contribute to climate change, leading to global warming and extreme weather events.

By opting for AKS Skip Hire in Norfolk, you can feel confident knowing we offer an eco-conscious waste management solution.

It’s also helpful if you can take a bit of time to separate your skip waste into different categories before collection. This can ensure we process and recycle your materials quickly and efficiently.


The damage improper e-waste disposal can cause

Perhaps one of the biggest dangers to the environment is the incorrect disposal of e-waste. E-waste (also known as waste electronic and electronic equipment or WEEE) includes all kinds of electronic devices like old smartphones, laptops, and appliances.

Poor e-waste management is a rapidly growing problem in the UK, and improper disposal of WEEE can lead to toxic substances leaching into the soil and water. Elements including lead, mercury, and cadmium found in electronic devices can contaminate the environment if not handled properly, posing serious health risks to both humans and wildlife.

When you hire a skip for your domestic waste, make sure you also include your e-waste separately. Our waste transfer centre has a dedicated WEEE recycling programme. Handling potentially hazardous materials and disposing of them in an environmentally friendly manner is a priority of ours. We’ll make sure any valuable metals are recovered for reuse and any unusable waste is managed properly.

We can help you dispose of large and small household appliances as well as PCs, mobile phones, TVs, and other WEEE effectively.


Recycling in Norfolk with AKS Skip Hire

At AKS Skip Hire, we take pride in being an environmentally conscious waste management service in Norfolk. We prioritise sustainability and aim to recycle 100% of all materials that pass through our waste transfer station in Norwich.

Our dedicated team diligently sorts through the waste to salvage recyclable materials and minimise the amount sent to landfills.

When you choose us, you are actively contributing to a greener environment. By using our services, you can be confident that your waste is being handled responsibly and sustainably.

Contact AKS Skip Hire today for affordable, eco-friendly skip hire in Norwich and Norfolk.